It appears that there will be a new pay scale that will pay roughly the same amount, but it will be divvied up differently amongst the players. The big winner will be the starting quarterback who will receive about $1,650 per game, every other player will receive $400 per game. There will also be a $50 win bonus. This will do away with the previous marketing tag pay scale that paid three players per team $1,000 with the rest making $400.

From what I've seen both fans and players almost unanimously oppose the new setup. I want to know how you feel about the new setup, what do you like or dislike about it?

Views: 8105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't like it for a couple reasons.

First, you have one player who is making over four times as much as every other player on the team. Just because they are being paid four times as much as anyone else doesn't mean they are the best player on the roster. As we saw last season there were several teams who had mediocre quarterbacks with a great supporting cast. In the new setup that mediocre quarterback will making making more than what could be an all-arena offense line or wide receiving corp.

Second, it doesn't give teams and players as many options. The marketing tag system allowed teams to offer any player a marketing tag to be one of the three highest paid players on the team. A team could lure a player away from another that they thought could be elite to come play for them by offering them a marketing tag. Now there isn't the added incentive of more money to go play for a team on the other side of the country.

I dont like it because it tells the other 20 guys on the roster that they aren't as important as the quarterback. Granted, the QB is the focal point of this game, but there are many times the QB isnt in the top 10 players on their own team. Rewarding position doesnt seem overly fair.

I'm almost positive the level of play will decrease even further..  What marketing player from this year would play for 400 dollars? Not many! This will be the straw that broke the camels back..  I'm am absoultely postive the arena league will fold after this season. The disparity in pay will be too much. What elite player will allow a quarter back to make 4 times his pay? This league is a disgrace!

Sam "Tuxedo" Melchior said:

First, you have one player who is making over four times as much as every other player on the team. Just because they are being paid four times as much as anyone else doesn't mean they are the best player on the roster. As we saw last season there were several teams who had mediocre quarterbacks with a great supporting cast. In the new setup that mediocre quarterback will making making more than what could be an all-arena offense line or wide receiving corp.

Second, it doesn't give teams and players as many options. The marketing tag system allowed teams to offer any player a marketing tag to be one of the three highest paid players on the team. A team could lure a player away from another that they thought could be elite to come play for them by offering them a marketing tag. Now there isn't the added incentive of more money to go play for a team on the other side of the country.

I'm curious as to why you think the league will fold after this season? It is a big disparity in pay, but it's still roughly the same amount per game as last season. It's not like they halved the total pay or anything. Also it's not like they can't change this decision at all.

BrandyluvsOrlando said:
I'm almost positive the level of play will decrease even further..  What marketing player from this year would play for 400 dollars? Not many! This will be the straw that broke the camels back..  I'm am absoultely postive the arena league will fold after this season. The disparity in pay will be too much. What elite player will allow a quarter back to make 4 times his pay? This league is a disgrace!

Doesn't sound like a real good deal
Honestly once this new pay scale is made known to all players.. What percentage do you think will return? How long do believe that players will play for this low pay? And of course there will be people saying.. Well they shouldn't play then. And get real jobs and yada yada yada.. Fans don't wanna see brand new players every year.. The league/owners stick it to the players..coaches.. And mostly the fans... The talent level that will be on the field in 2012 won't be even up to the level of af2 or ifl..

I'm curious as to why you think the league will fold after this season? It is a big disparity in pay, but it's still roughly the same amount per game as last season. It's not like they halved the total pay or anything. Also it's not like they can't change this decision at all.

BrandyluvsOrlando said:

I personally don't see this new setup lasting that long, but there will still be a good amount of players from last season who will still return. I do agree that you won't see players like Garcia or Harrell who play for 15 years with the pay structure unless they play in a city where they live or have a well paying job during the offseason. However, there were less than 60 players who had the marketing tag on them and some of those were QB's. The vast majority of players did play for this pay last season. For the average player their wages will end up going up a little bit because of the win bonus too. Will the talent level suffer? I think so, but I don't think it will be as bad as you think it will be.
I believe the league should allow teams to setup their roster they way they see fit, no set payscale just give them a cap. This scale is unfair but its the players obligation to fight for change no the owners. Why would the players expect good news from an owners meeting with no player representation these are the same people that didn't give a raise in af2 for years

I am not a fan of this new structure, but in reality it benefits all but about 36 players.

Approx. 2 players for each of the 18 teams will get paid less.  Most teams had a QB under a marketing tag already.  The other 20 will all get paid more providing they win some games.  

What the majority of players need to realize is that the odds are not in their favor to get a marketing tag to begin with.

With all that said, I think it sucks that we can't reward players of other positions that are among the best in the league.

With a roster of 23 active players, the total payroll has not changed at all

Don't like it. Didn't like it before.

If you're going to go this route, go full fantasy football. It's already somewhat like it in that there are no multi-year contracts, so go with the same thing they have for the coaches. You have X amount to spend on player salaries in a year. If you want to break the bank to woo some guy, then by all means, go ahead and do it and get scrubs up and down the rest of the roster. You want a solid team up and down, go middle of the road on paying guys. 

But that probably makes for a hassle with the salary funds coming out of a common pot, I'm sure. 

Frankly, I didn't  like that marketing players made more than twice as much as everyone else. Now one guy makes more than 4x everyone else? I like that even less. Given the quarterback turnover in the league due to injuries, it seems even sillier. 

This was a BAD idea !! I see alot of players feeling underappreciated, & forming the player's union that everyone is worried about.

I have a problem with the "winners purse"  as it really hurts a bad team trying to turn it around.  The winners get better, the losers get worse.  How do the 3, 4, and 5 win teams compete with the 10+ win teams for players?  Gonna be that much harder for teams like KC to get on the right track.  Granted we're talking a few hundred bucks over the course of the season, But it's huge  as a percentage of total income.  I realize this is a payroll throwback to the AF2, but those players were all regionalized anyway, so there wasn't as much insentive to move across the country to try out for a different team.  I really hope ther is enough negativity surrounding this plan that they will rethink it and go in a different direction.  If not, lets hope it dies on the vine next august and they agree to pay all the players more.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Slasher.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service